Fecal Incontinence Pads
What are Fecal Pads?
Fecal incontinence pads or bowel incontinence pads are designed for those that suffer from Accidental Bowel Leakage (ABL) and are looking for a product that absorbs leaks and odors while being discreet. Many people are unaware of the availability of such a product and resort to using a regular bladder pad for this condition. Those with fecal incontinence require a product that is disposable, as the use of washable products is not an option. Fecal incontinence pads are specifically shaped to fit in and around the buttocks and are designed to absorb liquids and hold the stool in place. These bowel incontinence products are not as absorbent as traditional incontinence pads, therefore hold less fluids.
What Might Cause the Need for a Fecal Pad?
Accidental Bowel Leakage is more common than you might think. It is not considered a medical condition that needs serious attention from a medical practitioner, however, it is a condition that can seriously interfere with one's daily lifestyle. Some of the causes that you might need to use bowel incontinence products such as fecal incontinence pads are:
- Nerve damage from medical conditions such as diabetes, multiple sclerosis, etc.
- Pelvic floor damage from childbirth
- Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis
- Prostate issues
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Choosing the Correct Fecal Incontinence Product
Accidental Bowel Leakage can range from light to severe. Depending on your specific needs, you will need to consider the bowel incontinence product options available.
Severe Fecal Incontinence
If you suffer from extreme fecal incontinence, you might want to consider a belted undergarment such as the Tranquility Select Belted Undergarment. This incontinence product is made of superabsorbent polymers that help protect against skin breakdown while keeping you dry and protected. Another option could be the Prevail Air Heavy Absorbency Brief. This incontinence brief features side panels for a leak-free stretchable fit and is made of 100% breathable material to quickly evaporate heat and humidity. Take a look at all of the other options for heavy fecal incontinence here.
Moderate Fecal Incontinence
For moderate bowel leakage, the Abena Abri-San Premium Shaped Pads work well and are designed to be more discreet than the belted undergarment options. These are wider at the rear and offer more protection where it is needed. A discreet unisex option for moderate bowel incontinence is the Tranquility Select Personal Care Pad. This incontinence pad has a contoured shape to conform to the natural curves of both men and women for maximum comfort.
Light Fecal Incontinence
A great choice for light fecal incontinence is the Butterfly Body Patch by Attends. This fecal incontinence pad can help those with Accidental Bowel Leakage manage their condition and maintain their lifestyle. Its unique shape makes it a discreet option and it's highly absorbent core offers protection and confidence. This simple and effective solution provides 2X more absorbency than similar products and neutralizes odors while it stays securely in place. The winged design makes applying and removing the fecal incontinence pad easy and hygienic. This product may be the perfect solution in helping you to return to your normal routine and feel comfortable while dealing with minor bowel leakage.
As you decide what product is right for you, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Latex Allergy: If you have an allergy to certain types of materials such as latex, make sure you read about what the product is made of before you experience a skin irritation, which could worsen the condition.
- Absorbency Level: Make sure you choose the right absorbency level. A pad that is for light bowel leakage will not be sufficient for someone with heavy bowel incontinence.
- Odor Control: Look for a product that has odor control. When odors are neutralized, you are more apt to confidently get through your day without embarrassing odors.
- Proper Fit: Choose a product that securely fits and will absorb all leakage. A poorly fitting incontinence product will not contain the fluids and you'll risk leaking out of the product and soil your clothing.
- Added Protection: It might be a good idea to also keep in mind that you may want to protect your bed or any other surfaces with an underpad.
We offer a wide range of products that can help you no matter the severity of your bowel leakage. If you would like help choosing which bowel incontinence products you require, please give us a call and one of our Product Experts will assist in narrowing down what's right for your needs. We are just a phone call away and will make sure you get your bowel incontinence products delivered discreetly right to your door.